Sunday, July 21, 2013

Bacon & Chicken Skewers


This one was a success!  Three thumbs up!  Actually, FOUR thumbs up.  My picky eater husband also really loved this one.  This particular meal as a bit time consuming.  The recipe (see below) is enough for two servings.  I didn't realize that until after I made it.  I really need to learn to pay attention to that first.  So I tripled it and it made plenty.  Again with the leftovers.  The time consuming part was threading the chicken and bacon onto each skewer.  I hate tedious jobs and that was definitely a tedious job.  And yucky.  I hate touching raw bacon/chicken.  The end result is well worth it though.  I paired this with basil and sea salt roasted potatoes and some green beans.  The kids didn't particularly like the potatoes, but everything else was a real hit. 

Even our eldest picky eater, who typically hates meat, gobbled this up.


Bacon & Chicken Skewers:

1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon pepper
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts - cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 pound bacon slices

Combine lemon juice, soy sauce, brown sugar and lemon pepper in large resealable food storage bag.  Mix well.  Remove 1/4 cup marinade and set aside.  Add chicken to bag; seal; marinate at least 30 minutes.  Soak wood skewers in water for 20 minutes (so they won't burn).

Alternately thread chicken and bacon onto skewers.  Discard marinade. 

Grill skewers, turning occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center and bacon is crisp.  Brush several times with reserved marinade. 

Makes TWO servings

Recipe from "Down Home Cooking" cookbook.









1 comment: