Sunday, July 28, 2013

Bayou Chicken



 This was a no go.  Which really bums me out because I thought it was super delicious.  Alyssa and Brayden were very generous with their mediocre review.  Both of them nibbled and picked through it to meet their 7-bite quota, but Gabe hated it so much that he resorted to fake puke noises and making himself cry for sympathy.  Which only makes me feel angry, not sympathy.  lol  So this one, unfortunately, will not be added to our rotation of meals.  I want to try again later though, because I REALLY liked it. 

The only thing I changed in the recipe is that I used dark chicken meat instead of white chicken meat.  It calls for chicken breasts but I used thighs.  Not sure how much that changes up the flavor, but it was delicious.  Once again, I forgot to get things ready in a timely manner, so I didn't actually cook this in the crockpot the way it suggests.  I cooked the chicken on the stove first, cut it up and then put it all in the crockpot together.  I just put it on high for about an hour to really cook everything through and through.  It worked just fine.  This is one of the easier meals I've made thus far and is probably one of my faves.  Especially when I pulled out my favorite hot sauce to add to my bowl.  Really easy, really fast (in reference to prep time) and super delicious for such a simple dish. I just wish the kids had liked it.

Bayou Chicken - crockpot recipe

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed.
14-1/2 oz can chicken broth
14-1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
10-3/4 oz can tomato soup
1/2 lb smoked pork sausage, sliced
1/2 c cooked ham, diced
1 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
hot sauce to taste
cooked rice

Combine all ingredients (except rice) in a slow cooker; stir.  Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours.  Serve over cooked rice. 

Serves 6 to 8.

This recipe from "101 Slow-Cooker Recipes" by Gooseberry Patch Cookbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment